Monday, January 24, 2011

an homage to the classics

Olivier Theyskens, theory, fashion

When I first saw this beauuutiful portrait of Olivier Theyskens, I immediately likened it to some of the classical artistic masterpieces of our time. Not only is it a striking portrait -- the shadows, the form, the mood, the expression -- but it evokes images of an era long passed. And, of course, being the art history nerd that I am, and the avid traveler that I am, I felt as though I was transported into the Louvre's statue garden in Paris or the Accademia in Florence where the Biblical hero David is housed...
Or, even further than that, ancient Greece or Rome!

What about Rodin's Le Penseur?




 ...or Myron's Discobolos? The lovely Marilyn seems to think so!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...