Sunday, October 3, 2010

jeremy laing, who knew?

Since I've gotten home from Paris, I've been waaay more in tune with my fashion sense. I don't know exactly where it came from, or what necessarily influenced it, but being abroad for so long was definitely an eye-opener. In any case, I've been finding some great new designers (to me at least) as a result. One of my favorites of the bunch is Jeremy Laing. He made a name for himself only about 5 years or so ago, but I'm sure he'll be a prominent figure on the runway for quite a while.


Canadian-born Jeremy Laing spent his childhood on an army base in Germany. He learned to sew at age 13 by watching his mother, and has been making clothes ever since.
Jeremy's self-taught method, which combines organic and geometric approaches to pattern making and construction, was honed while studying in Toronto, on exchange at Westminster University in London, and through an apprenticeship with Alexander McQueen. Following his apprenticeship, Jeremy worked freelance developing showpieces for five of McQueen's collections, demonstrating his strength in innovative pattern making, garment construction, and the use of textile to create form.

In his Fall/Winter 2010 collection, Laing put some fantastic coats out there on the runway. The whole collection is quite a treat, in fact, but the outerwear is really something special. Great structure, texture, pattern, and material all around. I wish I could get my hands on these stunners in particular! :

          



Also some throwbacks from his Fall/Winter 2009 collection:



To see all of his collections, check out http://www.jeremylaing.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...